Here at Utah Valley University I would estimate 95% of student network
access is through the wireless network.  While we do have some open
ports students can connect to in the library and other areas around
campus we find that very few plug in.  While they may get slightly
better performance over wired than our 802.11n wireless network the
convenience seems to far outweigh any performance hit.

As far as control goes we in many ways have more control and visibility
over our wireless network than we do on our wired network.  Our wireless
network uses 802.1x for authentication and NAC posturing so we know who
is logged into our wireless network, where they are in the building
(thanks to location services), and that they are in compliance with the
Universities NAC policies.  We can quarantine a wireless user to a role
that only allows them access to a web redirect page or block access from
even associating to the AP if desired.

Since wireless now runs on an unlicenced spectrum I don't think I would
recommend going "wireless only".  It remains vulnerable to RF attacks
and interference.  I think essential services and staff/faculty desktop
machines should remain wired but for normal student use I think the
benefits of a well designed wireless network as the main point of
connectivity outweigh the negatives.  Most wireless network systems can
prevent issues caused by RF interference.  Cisco's CleanAir system looks
very promising for improving the visibility of your RF environment.

Michael Simpson
Utah Valley University

>>> "Christian Heroux" <christian.her...@etsmtl.ca> 7/6/2010 2:30 PM

Hello,

We have a project that would require every student to have a laptop.
That would change the requirements in most classroom and we are looking
at how to provide network access in those room. Wireless seem cheaper
than wired to connect to the network.

For the moment, we recommend wireless as a complementary access not as
the main connection for work or study. The University would like to push
for wireless but technically we tend to prefer wired. In wireless, we
don`t have control on the air space like interference, performance is
not the same and we don`t have as much control over a user like shutting
down a port.

What is your orientation about network access?  Would you embrace
Wireless only architecture?

Christian Héroux
University of Quebec