I'm curious about how many LWAPP access points and controllers my peers
are running in a single vlan/broadcast domain?

Cisco engineers keep telling me that they recommend a maximum of 100
APs in a subnet and to keep the WLCs on a different subnet/vlan from
the LWAPP APs.  That would be a lot of router interfaces to setup in my
environment.  Maybe that's their goal, eh?  :-)

We're still got the "one big vlan" model leftover from the thick AP
days.  We've split up the user space into several smaller vlans/subnets
depending on SSID, WPA vlan override, etc., but the management
interfaces and WLCs are still in the "big ole' vlan" that spans all
over campus.

This configuration has worked well for us.  The simplicity of it makes
troubleshooting and switch management much easier. The LWAPP network is back-end and has no router interface, only the APs, WiSMs, Airwave Management Platform have interfaces on it.

We're still running 5.2.193.0 code and starting to consider a migration
path to the newer 7.0 WLC code.  My nightmare scenario is that the 7.0
code introduces some additional latency sensitivity or multicast
traffic or broadcast traffic that overwhelms our network and it all
grinds to a halt.

I can't really get any usable advice from Cisco because their engineers
tend to fall over when I tell them how many APs I'm running in a single
broadcast domain.  :-)

Am I the only one still out here on this limb?

--
Earl Barfield -- Academic & Research Tech / Information Technology
Internet: earl.barfi...@oit.gatech.edu    e...@gatech.edu