From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:wireless-...@listserv.educause.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Wiseman
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 16:17
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Active Directory and LDAP at the same time. Or...
just LDAP with 802.1x.

LDAP *can* be used as the directory for PEAPv0/MS-Chapv2 - there's some
documentation for this at:

http://rnd.feide.no/2007/08/21/feide_and_eduroam/#id862569

My institution does not run a central AD and when we went to implement Eduroam,
we implemented an LDAP environment to store the NTLMv2 hash  for 802.1X. The
goal was to eliminate the need for 3rd party supplicants. We did need to
populate the LDAP with the hash since the Kerberos backend since the NTLM v2
hash was not available in our existing authentication infrastructure.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager, Information Security
Information + Technology Services
University of Toronto

Here’s the backdrop for my questions:

For 802.1x authentication on the WLAN, we use PEAP w/ MS-CHAPv2, against our AD
environment. This works wonderfully and always has.

The rub- we have a set of users not in AD- they are in our ED (LDAP). I’ll
thank you not to ask why.

These LDAP credential folk cannot use the 802.1x setup as it is, as they are
not in AD. LDAP lookups aren’t possible because PEAP w /MS-CHAPv2 doesn’t work
with LDAP.

Potential options:

- add support for TTLS/PAP against LDAP on a new SSID (yuck)
- add support for TTLS/PAP on current SSID to make it support two EAP types
(never done it here)
- insist that everyone be AD (politics)
- insist that everyone be in LDAP and go to TTLS/PAP globally

This is not a terribly important issue right now, but looking down the road it
will come up and so I’d like to get my thoughts lined up.

Does anyone else use a single SSID with two EAP types? Or have AD and LDAP both
at play in any other way? Anyone using TTLS/PAP that can comment on it’s
suitability and reliability versus PEAP w/ MS-CHAPv2?

Thanks-

Lee Badman