From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Barron Hulver
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 14:18
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Any experiences with Cisco 3500-series CleanAir access
points?

Does anyone have any experiences with the Cisco 3500-series CleanAir
access points?  We have a small project (about 40 access points) coming
up and I'm thinking about deploying these as a pilot instead of the
1142s that we would normally deploy.  I've discussed this will one of my
people who handles our wireless deployments (Art Ripley) and he thinks
we should.

For background, we have most of the campus covered in wireless and a
couple of years ago we started deploying for performance instead of
coverage (more access points per square foot).  We have nine Cisco WLCs
(a mix of 4404-100s and 5508s) and a mix of 1131 and 1142 access points.
  We do not use WCS.  Instead, we (Nathan Broome and I) have  developed
our own wireless management software.  This has worked well for us but
I'm wondering if I should move to an off-the-shelf package when
deploying the 3500s.  Any thoughts on this?

I've arranged a meeting with our local Cisco sales office next week and
this will be one of the topics I want to discuss.

Thanks,

Barron

Barron Hulver
Director of Networking, Operations, and Systems
Center for Information Technology
Oberlin College
148 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074