Thought I'd jump in this one, sorry if I'm late to the game, I'm a Meru
customer and you do not have to have all the aps on the controller
broadcasting the same speeds. Broadcast speeds are set in the ESSID
section (virtual Cell). I have virtual Cells on campus that have B
disabled and the slow speeds of G disabled, while I have other Cells that
have all speeds enabled for all 802.11 protocols. All our access points
terminate at a single controller.
Best,

Ryan T. Young
Network / Systems Administrator