Bruce,

You could, by any number of technical solutions, ensure that students within a
given residential space were all on the same L2 network. That is to say, if a
given residence hall is made up of 200 students, then it's not technically
difficult to ensure all the residential wireless devices within that area are
placed in the same VLAN. Or, at a minimum, to ensure that a user's device(s)
will always be in the same L2 network so that they can see each other. If one
can't do that, then I wouldn't consider the wireless solution to be very
flexible, especially given the trend in devices wanting/needing to talk to each
other.

On my campus, students spend four years of their life in what we consider a
residential setting, and it seems only logical to me that the experience
should, to the extent possible, mimic home life. That is, it's reasonable to me
to expect a student's wireless devices to see each other, and that they should
be able to share/collaborate with the other users within their residential
hall.

I know that if I was back in college, I'd expect that level of functionality,
and If it wasn't there, I'd probably make it happen using my own gear...
exactly what you don't want happening.

Jeff

>>> "Osborne, Bruce W" <bosbo...@liberty.edu> 6/22/2011 4:55 AM >>>
We here at Liberty University have about 8000 students in our residences, the
vast majority using wireless.

That would be a *huge* L2 network.

Bruce Osborne
Wireless Network Engineer
IT Network Services

(434) 592-4229

LIBERTY UNIVERSITY
40 Years of Training Champions for Christ: 1971-2011