Band steering is favorable when you have similar coverage areas on both 2.4 and
5 ghz. That should be a given nowadays, however, with the adoption of 11n. I
recommend folks evaluate their RF designs first prior to tinkering with these
types of feature sets. Tune down your 2.4 so it's similar to your 5 ghz, THEN
try band-steering. Otherwise, what John outlines will occur.

Ryan Holland
Ohio State