We are testing a practice of having the 5GHz N package have a separate SSID - one with "-N" to try and focus on the higher bandwidth. Results have been mixed due the issue of seeing the stronger signal as well.

Harry Rauch Sr. Network Analyst Eckerd College 4200 - 54th Ave S St. Petersburg, FL 33711

On 9/26/11 10:14 AM, Brian Helman wrote:

I think the newer Macs and iOS devices are dual band. The problem is you can't tell them which band to use, so they connect to the strongest signal. Unfortunately, that doesn't always mean the "better" signal.

-Brian

*From:*The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *On Behalf Of *Coehoorn, Joel
*Sent:* Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:11 AM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Subject:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Disappointing numbers of 5ghz clients

There was another thread on this same listserv -a month or two back basically complaining about the lack of consumer laptops with 5ghz radios. When your average student or parent goes to buy a laptop for college, pretty much everything they see is still 2.4Ghz. Even if they're looking for 5Ghz (and few do), most laptops just advertise for b/g/n and don't otherwise tell you what spectrum it will use. The result is exactly what you're seeing: the cleaner 5Ghz band is barely used, and students complain about throughput on 2.4Ghz. Hopefully by next year's buying season we're seeing more 5Ghz laptops in the market, but even then it will take a while before your upperclassmen have the technology.

Joel Coehoorn

IT Director

402.363.5603