From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Sessler
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:44 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Problems in the Dorms

Getting rid of the rogues can't hurt, but this smells like a network issue. The
communication between the AP and controller are such that it wouldn't take much
to cause the AP's to see a problem and try to fix it. Even an etherchannel
flapping, say on a trunk heading to those buildings, would be enough to cause
the APs to go back into CAPWAP discovery.

Oh, and if you've not yet escalated this to your Cisco team, you should. Once
the wireless business unit is involved, they tend to resolve problems nearly at
the speed of light... well... except if it involves Lee. ;)

Jeff

>>> On Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM, in message
>>> <700d77bb392ae543b5b4455c8db89e3a09cc7...@mbox1.ad.bradley.edu>, "Ghere,
>>> Shayne" <sgh...@bumail.bradley.edu> wrote:

Thank you for the input.   This is how we have the ports setup currently.

We’re to the point of experimenting with certain buildings in the dorms and
turning all “rogue” wireless devices off (including wireless printers) to see
if that helps.

I’ll let you know what we find, and hopefully this will be resolved before I
retire in 22 years.    ;)

Thanks again everyone!
Shayne