From: Peter P Morrissey <ppmor...@syr.edu<mailto:ppmor...@syr.edu>>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:11:48 +0000
To:
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] SSID connection order on Mac Devices

We have run into problems where Apple devices (apparently more mobile devices
than laptops) appear to gravitate towards SSID’s that are on top
alphabetically. It often confuses users who get set up for our preferred 802.1x
network which should automatically connect and authenticate them. They wind up
connecting to one of our other networks we use for configuration. The problem
apparently can be remedied by going into the profiles and “forgetting” the
network, but this is not something at all intuitive to the average user.

With Windows devices, this same network somehow starts showing up on top, and
becomes the preferred network and it never seems to be a problem. We never hear
complaints from Windows users whose network connection starts misbehaving with
the cause being that they aren’t connecting to the network that they think they
are connecting to. In fact with the Apple products, you can explicitly connect
to your preferred network, and even while you are connected it will sometimes
suddenly change to the network on the top of the list.

I should point out that the other difference is that these networks are also
non-802.1x networks, so it is certainly possible that the Apple client is
preferring it for that reason.

I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior?

Pete Morrissey