On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Christina Klam wrote:

> I have been working with Cisco on an intermittent issue with some
> Android devices not being able to get a DHCP address or keep their
> connection once they get an IP. At their suggestion, I changed the QoS
> to Silver from Gold. That helped. But, as the debugs I sent them show,
> some Androids are slow at requesting a new DHCP address. (This is
> similar to the problem defined by Princeton University. ) Cisco TAC now
> is suggesting I enable, “DHCP address assignment required”. While I like
> that it would stop wireless devices from statically assigning themselves
> addresses, I am concerned about the caveats to the feature. The
> documentation suggests that it can have problems with non-Windows device
> (which means most of my clients) and can cause delays when roaming.
>
> Do you have the feature enabled?

  We have had "DHCP Required" enabled on our Cisco Wireless for several years.
It helps prevent some types of man-in-the-middle attacks.

> If so, do you have problems with gaming systems or mobile phones?

  We prefer that students connect game systems to the wired network.   We
haven't had any problems with devices on the network that we attributed to
"DHCP Required" except for devices that misbehaved and did not renew their DHCP
lease.  Devices that did not renew their lease are disconnected and when they
re-connect to the SSID they usually ask properly for a DHCP lease.

> Thank you,
>
> -- Christina
> Christina Klam
> Network Administrator
> Institute for Advanced Study
> Email:  ck...@ias.edu
>
> Einstein Drive          Telephone: 609-734-8154
> Princeton, NJ 08540     Fax:  609-951-4418

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University