From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Chuck Enfield
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:16 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Disabling 802.11b speeds

We've eliminated all the b rates on our wireless with no significant issues.
We had lots of connections to our wireless at 802.11b rates, but it was
users out of range from the APs, or clients with outdated drivers - both
problems which were easily corrected.  Our wireless is entirely 1X, so
consumer devices like TVs and game consoles, some of which I've heard
require at least the 11Mb rate, were not a concern here because they
couldn't authenticate anyway.

Chuck Enfield
Sr. Communications Engineer
Telecommunications & Networking Services The Pennsylvania State University
110H, USB2, UP, PA 16802
ph: 814.863.8715
fx: 814.865-3988