A lot of this depends on the type of authentication that the captive portal
can support.  If the captive portal sends the auth type and it is already
configured in your server/virtual server as mentioned then it will use it.

Walter Reynolds
Principal Systems Security Development Engineer
Information and Technology Services
University of Michigan
(734) 615-9438