But... don't expect feature parity with the 5508.

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Sessler
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:05 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Anyone tried Ubiquiti UniFi campus wifi?

Steve,

If you don't want to rip and replace, you may want to consider strategic
deployment of the new Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch - there is a wireless license
that turns it into a controller and will support up to 50 APs. Cisco recently
had a promotion where the AP license (25 I think) was free. It gets you
new-generation PoE switch at the edge, and support for 802.11ac APs.

Jeff

>>> On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM, in message
>>> <7438c779-d6da-4eaa-b5a8-58d8c5be1...@simons-rock.edu<mailto:7438c779-d6da-4eaa-b5a8-58d8c5be1...@simons-rock.edu>>,
>>>  Steve Bohrer <skboh...@simons-rock.edu<mailto:skboh...@simons-rock.edu>>
>>> wrote:
A few months ago there were some generally positive posts about Ubiquiti's Air
Fiber links, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried out their UniFi
controller-less campus wifi solution, particularly with their dual-band "UniFi
Pro AP" and/or their "UniFi AP AC" access points.

For background, we are a very small college, and currently have an older Cisco
WLC/WPS system, mostly with their A/G APs; though we have "N" in one building.
The hardware limit of our current pair of WLCs is 75 APs, and we've hit that,
so are considering our next step: Expand our Cisco system with newer gear; or
else go to something else for our un-covered buildings, and have two systems
running side-by-side for a while as we transition to the new system.

I want to add about 25 APs right now to cover our four main dorms, and I think
our eventual full-coverage, high-density (for small values of "high"!)
deployment might be about 150 APs total.

Staying with Cisco means upgrading from our WLC 4402s to 5508, which also means
upgrading from WCS to PI, and it is feeling a bit like overkill for our size. I
can't say that I've been heavily using all of the features and reporting of our
current WCS.

We are having presentations from other vendors, and my Sys Admin recommended
Ubiquiti, and their price is _amazingly_ low. WIth their gear, we could add the
new APs and also replace all of our existing Cisco APs for significantly less
than the cost of adding 25 new Cisco "N" APs+WLC+PI. For our scale, that is
really attractive.

Part of the cost saving, of course, is that Ubiquiti doesn't have reps and a
sales team and such, so we won't get nearly as whizzy a pitch from Ubiquiti as
we have from the rest of the wifi vendors. Thus, first hand experiences from
other schools that have actually deployed this stuff would be very useful.

Thanks for any pros or cons you can share about UniFi. (Feel free to mention
your favorite wifi system as well, if you think it reasonable for our small
scale and budget. From the stuff we've seen so far, I like Ruckus, Aerohive,
and Meru, but don't have much user feedback on any of them.)

Steve Bohrer
Network Admin, ITS
Bard College at Simon's Rock