From our experience, this is normal.  Apple does some caching with its
certificate.  If the certificate that is being offered from the server differs,
they appear to complain.  From my experience, there is a dialogue box that will
come up on screen telling the users to accept a new certificate.  I suspect
this interferes with EAP authentication because the time it takes to accept a
new certificate from the server will expire the EAP timer value, and after the
cert is accepted, the machine will reauthenticate.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would pick a few client mac addresses in the
logs, and look at their sessions and make sure they are connected now.  I will
be you'll see them connected just fine.

In any event, when we do a certificate change on our authentication servers, we
issue campus wide change notices as a result of some of the aggravation.

Ryan H Turner
Senior Network Engineer
CB 1150 Chapel Hill, NC 27599
+1 919 445 0113 Office
+1 919 274 7926 Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Osborne, Bruce W
(Network Services)
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:38 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless authentication issue after certificate
renew

I assumed you configured your client to explicitly trust the ACS server
certificate. In our setup, only the root & intermediate certificates are
configured on the client. We can then update our server certificates without
any issue as long as we continue to use the same certificate chain.

Unfortunately, we are preparing to move to a new certificate chain :(

Bruce Osborne
Network Engineer
IT Network Services
 (434) 592-4229

Liberty University  |  Training Champions for Christ since 1971