From: Tim Cappalli <cappa...@brandeis.edu<mailto:cappa...@brandeis.edu>>
Date: Monday, November 18, 2013 5:40 PM
To:
"WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>"
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Force Windows to send UPN

So you are using the single sign on feature,  not machine auth?

Thanks

Tim Cappalli, Network Engineer
LTS | Brandeis University
x67149 | (617) 701-7149
cappa...@brandeis.edu<mailto:cappa...@brandeis.edu>

On Nov 15, 2013 10:42 AM, "Johnson, Neil M"
<neil-john...@uiowa.edu<mailto:neil-john...@uiowa.edu>> wrote:
Here is what we ended up doing. Quoted from our Enterprise Client Team e-mail…..

We have had some reported issues with the Eduroam single sign on GPO. The GPO,
called _PUBLIC-Eduroam Wireless Config, allows laptops to connect to Eduroam
before logon as long as the UPN is used as the username –
haw...@uiowa.edu<mailto:haw...@uiowa.edu>. The issue occurs after the computer
connects and logs in fine. Then while it is being used it disconnects from
Eduroam and never reconnects. It tries to reconnect with iowa\HawkID, which
causes the failure.

I have created a fix for this by adding a second wireless profile to the GPO
called Eduroam Reconnect. The original profile is still there, so single sign
on works as expected. If during regular use the machine disconnects from
Eduroam and fails to reconnect, it falls back to Eduroam Reconnect which
prompts for a user ID. This allows the user to type
haw...@uiowa.edu<mailto:haw...@uiowa.edu> and reconnect to the Wireless network
again. If they are disconnected again, it will reconnect using this profile
without prompting.

We have this implemented in a few places around campus, and I’d like to add it
to the public GPO. Let me know if you have any issues or concerns. Otherwise,
I’ll make the change at the end of the day.

It's not elegant, but it does work…

-Neil

--
Neil Johnson