From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jim Glassford
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:02 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Ripley's Believe it or not, wireless edition

Just fyi,

this was discussed on the resnet mailing list, same as Eric mentioned.

Resnet Forum <resne...@listserv.nd.edu><mailto:resne...@listserv.nd.edu>

> We recently disabled OTA updates and the feedback we've gotten from students
> has been positive.  It appears that was our issue.  Thanks for the
> suggestions.

~~

> We have seen this issue as well with some of the first generation PS3's.

> Some of them we are able to update the code manually to the newest ps3
> version and they will start working.  Then others when we updated they still
> do not work.  Still trying to figure out what the issue maybe.... Doesn't
> seem very consistent.

best!

jim

On 2/26/2014 12:47 PM, Eric Rose wrote:
Take a look at this link:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Education/PS3-dropping-off-the-network/gpm-p/126499/highlight/true#M565

Once we disabled ARM OTA in the residence halls the older PS3 devices were able
to connect wired and wirelessly.

"The PS3 (CL917784871-CECH-L01) that we have been working with falls under
first generation and its version(s) are CECH-LXX, CECH-KXX and CECH-MXX. WLAN
NIC in older PS3s(First Generation) do not handle OTA frames which will be
"unrecognized frames" correctly.

Ideally, the PS3 should IGNORE these frames and carry on, but it results in
connection drop.

As it's a client inability at this point to handle such frames, we have
successfully worked around this issue by disabling OTA which would be a
potential fix as such for client side issue."

Eric Rose
Network Engineer
Salisbury University
Office: 410.677.5367