Some faculty here use the TurningPoint clickers to check attendance.
Students walk past the classrooms during class and click in, on there way to the gym or the coffee house.

On 11/24/2014 11:18 AM, Anders Nilsson wrote:

Aren't we all operating small RF-chips into our students nowadays?

Makes tracking people so much easier.  ;)

On a more serious note I totally agree with Mr. Badman here.

Getting rough stats is one thing, getting Attendance lists is a very different and more difficult thing.

Cheers

Anders Nilsson

Univ of Umeå

*Från:*The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *För *Lee H Badman
*Skickat:* den 24 november 2014 17:01
*Till:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Ämne:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Attendance

I can think of a few concerns.

I give you my tablet to take to class, and I'm there without being there.

I give you my credentials to put on your device- you get "seen" as you, then me. We're both there without me being there.

Client devices may not connect to the AP in the room. There may be no AP in the room... how close to the room is close enough if I connect to the floor above/below or adjacent room/hallway? And who sorts it all out?

To me as an instructor, nothing is easier than good old paper sign-in. And if you didn't sign in, you weren't there. Period.

Not everything needs to have a tech edge on it, and I'm as tech geeky as it gets...

-Lee

Lee Badman

Wireless/Network Architect

ITS, Syracuse University