My thoughts too. I'm not sure how much we an complain about vendors seeking
ways to differentiate their products with a unique "value-add". Because a
vendor's value-add is nothing other than their reason for being. If there
is nothing they bring to the table that everyone else doesn't, then they
should find something else to do.

I think it was Donald Knuth that once said the great thing about standards
is there are so many to choose from. Expecting vendor interoperability
beyond a certain basic level seems to me to be a form of idealism. Not
actually desirable in the real world as we know it, and only so in our
minds. We wouldn't like it even if we got it. Isn't there an old joke about
looking for a woman with intelligence, beauty, and money?