I'll toss this out - who made us responsible for the protection of consumer
data passing over our wireless networks? Why do we care?

For devices the college owns, we have the capability today to secure them if
necessary for compliance or other business requirements. For the rest of the
BYOD crowd, is it a requirement? If 20 million people a week visit a starbucks
and use their open wifi, why are we in EDU trying to be different? Do we feel
an obligation to "parent" our wireless users?

Instead of chasing an impossibility, why not concentrate on what our enterprise
wlan vendors can do to get the majority of our users closer to the consumer
experience?

Jeff

>>> On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 10:10 AM, in message
>>> <d4cc2ac64db345c2a5d6f18368d0d...@ex13-mbx-10.ad.syr.edu>, Lee H Badman
>>> <lhbad...@syr.edu> wrote:

Excellent thoughts, Joel. As I mentioned- the new certifications notion was AN
idea, not the solution to a hyper-complex problem. But your suggestion is
really interesting and sounds reasonable and powerful.

Lee Badman
Wireless/Network Architect
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003