We are a Ruckus shop having gotten rid of Cisco a number of years back.

LED lamps do not generate much heat at all; we are in St. Petersburg Florida, right on the bay so we have multiple challenges that include salt water and heat. The APs will work up to 65 C. and I've never had a failure of an AP including a number of the outdoor models.

I agree, the APs can be stand alone, but if you are Cisco shop would they offer an alternative?

Harry Rauch Sr. Network Analyst Eckerd College 4200 - 54th Ave S St. Petersburg, FL 33711
On 5/12/15 12:29 PM, Lee H Badman wrote:

*From:* The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Watters, John <john.watt...@ua.edu>
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:23 PM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Subject:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Outdoor APs

*From:*The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *On Behalf Of *Lee H Badman
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:16 AM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

*Lee H. Badman*
Network Architect/Wireless TME
ITS, Syracuse University
315.443.3003

*From:*The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU <mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>> on behalf of Watters, John <john.watt...@ua.edu <mailto:john.watt...@ua.edu>>
*Sent:* Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:54 AM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU <mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
*Subject:* [WIRELESS-LAN] Outdoor APs

Our facilities folks are installing new outdoor LED lighting. They want us to install APs inside of the light fixtures (not the poles, but inside of the glass light globe). The AP they want us to use is a Ruckus ZoneFlex T300 series device. (See: http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/zoneflex-outdoor/zoneflex-t300-series )

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this equipment installed inside of exterior light fixtures? I need someone to talk to.

Does anyone have any outside deployments that put the APs inside of the light fixtures using any brand of equipment?

Thanks.

-jcw UA Logo

*__*

John Watters                           The University of Alabama

Office of Information Technology