From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Chuck Enfield
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:03 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] SSID jumping with Win 8.1 (Surface Pro 3) on Aruba

I’m having similar problem on a Win7 SP1 laptop.  When I enable my wireless
adapter it connects to our guest network instead of our 802.1X network.  The
order of the profiles in the network list doesn’t matter, and even deleting the
guest network profile doesn’t help.  Once I manually choose the 1x network it
doesn’t generally “jump” to guest, but I recall that happening at least once.
My theory was that my connection dropped, giving my machine a chance to
exercise its newly-found preference for the guest network over all others.  I
don’t have this problem on any other devices, and I haven’t heard any reports
from anybody else yet, so I assumed my laptop was the problem.  That said, the
laptop was problem-free for years.  If the problem coincided with an AOS
upgrade, I failed to make the connection.

When I thought this was just a problem with my laptop I opted to work around
it, but maybe it deserves some attention.  Windows devices make up a modest
percentage of our wireless clients, so others could be having the same
experience and word just hasn’t reached me yet.  I’ll get a packet capture next
time I put this device on the Wi-Fi.  If I turn up anything suspicious I’ll
post to the group.

Chuck Enfield

Manager, Wireless Systems & Engineering

Telecommunications & Networking Services

The Pennsylvania State University

110H, USB2, UP, PA 16802

ph: 814.863.8715

fx: 814.865.3988