Hi Philippe,

1)      Yes quite right, the eduroam-* worked well to resolve the issue however
any visitor needed to configure their device so it was pretty un-user friendly.
This  operated probably 2007-08 when eduroam was first hit here so users were
low in number and so was impact. Over time the cons for visitors having to
manually config a new SSID outweighed the pro's of that name as there's just
too many visitors. We moved back to just eduroam. This works but I'd seriously
consider all other options first, or consider using it in just the area's of
overlap.

2)      Sharing Vlans has been discussed and agreed on with one of our
neighbours and got halfway through design. The primary driver at that stage was
internet costs, with some students recognising there is unlimited internet
access just over the road as opposed to some really harsh restrictions on
campus. Both institutions moved away from restricting data usage so that issue
no longer exists. We actually haven't had too many reports of issues  along our
RF border despite buildings being 10m apart. But both us and our RF neighbours
don't use eduroam as a primary so the border impact is limited. It would be
worth noting that roaming between yours and an outside institution wouldn't be
as smooth. Also unless you provide all your range the users will move networks,
the ideal solution wouldn't see the client change IP.

I think it's a good and reasonably simple solution, but might struggle to scale
if required to go past a couple of institutions.

3)      We looked briefly this last year as there's chance we'll be having
eduroam throughout our CBD on the council owned free  CBD wireless
infrastructure.  This means RF overlap for eduroam in a number of locations.
IP mobility might be the best solution but comes with requirements like
hardware.... And we are a fair way from fully understanding it all.  That lack
of a simple technical solution as well as ownership/costs mean this got put on
the back burner..... but it's not forgotten yet. Hoping to kick the discussion
off again late this year/early next.

4)      The other solution we looked at for the CBD crowding was having our ISP
host the termination point for the wireless networks, at least for the major
institutions who use the same ISP and are also our national eduroam provider.
So no matter which institution a user visits they end up on the same network
which could be routed by the ISP or routed by the Institution. This would
require quite a few changes and agreements etc and while no one said no the who
time, cost and ownership factor meant it all goes to the backburner for a
while.... Plus IP Mobility is probably still the better end result.

We are about to go live with something similar operating in our hospitals. They
won't federate to eduroam however there is high research integration between
the Uni's here and our hospitals. We have hundreds of staff/students located
and visiting hospitals. Health have been great in working with us to get a
solution using eduroam. Essentially our own users will be routed directly to us
through a fibre while all other eduroam users go out to the internet.  It's all
hosted by health in their datacentre, the setup costs was paid by the Uni's.

I'm sure there were a few other ideas thrown around, I'll see if I dig anything
up from the emails.

Routing on source mac address was one.... But this was to deal with an issue
where only 2 vlans would be available. One thing we were always trying to
achieve with these is the ability to treat these users differently to
off-campus so no need to VPN for most intranet services but perhaps not quite
on-campus for some more secure intranet requirements. Essentially trying to
keep the experience nicer for users.

Regards

Jason

--
Jason Cook
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005