From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>>
on behalf of Ian Lyons <ily...@rollins.edu<mailto:ily...@rollins.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 10:08 AM
To:
"WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>"
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU<mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Question about Cisco 1810w APs in residential
buildings

8.2.120.11 is the minimum version I would recommend.  1810 (in my opinion) came
out of the factory not completely baked.

We bought the first batch of 1810’s off the assembly line and they did not have
a means to talk to the controller (DNS would not work nor DNS options). We had
to manually point them at our controller.  However, *if* you bought a recent
batch (after Sept) I have been told they have reimaged all the AP’s at the
assembly line and that issue has been resolved.

Other issues we have seen (and in 8.2.130.0 most have been resolved) are AP’s
rebooting frequently.  More recent code upgrades have fixed that issue, however
we are still having an issue with the 1810’s and the wired ports.

As to redundant WLC’s I would go to 8.2.121.11 at a minimum, there is a WLC
issue with SSO as well as the 1810 issue that I found (the hard way) to be the
minimum version to start at.

Things are improving.  However, 500 1810’s deployed = challenging times.

The good news is, is that the students memories are short and I expect once
these issues get ironed out, smooth sailing.