> WPA2-enterprise (eduroam or not) has three main benefits and a cool side
> effect:
>
> 1) You know who is on, one user at a time.
>
> How do you know this? You know that the device is using a particular user’s
> id/pass and/or was on-boarded using their account. You have no way to verify
> that the device belongs to the actual owner. One could make the same claim of
> PPSK (I know who you are based on your PPSK passphrase), but just like
> WPA2-ent, there is nothing to prevent another user from on-boarding a device
> for a friend.

If needed be you can find the user behind the authentication. And since we are
also talking about EAP-TLS you can lock the profile to a specific device. No
sharing. In this particular case EAP-TLS is ideal to prevent credentials
sharing.

> 2) the user knows what network it is (since the infrastructure certificate is
> verified)
>
> It’s been demonstrated over and over that most users will simply click past
> prompts, even when the prompt clearly shows something is wrong i.e. a user
> presented with a bad certificate is likely to just accept it (or disable the
> verification of the cert).

If you use profile based authentication, not letting users configure by just
entering username/password when selecting the SSID (e.g. using the CAT tool or
other profile creation apps) the infrastructure certificate cannot be bypassed
easily. Or use EAP- TLS to totally prevent any risk.

> 3) It’s automatic..no pesky portal to deal with
>
> This is also a case for PPSK and/or an open network.

Of course, with my little bias toward roaming I should ask: how do you roam
with PPSK? ;-)

How does PPSK size up for large campuses? I seem to remember from this list
that beyond a certain number of users there are some limitations.

And finally with WPA2-ent you can separate users based on domains if you wish
to do so ( e.g. @students.domain VS @faculty.domain)

I'm sure that PPSK has great applications for specific cases but it doesn't
have the overall breadth of WPA2-enterprise.

Philippe
www.eduroam.us