Wireless Lan members,

We use Aruba Networks for our wireless solution and we do have many L2
devices working that leverage Bonjour, etc.  We simply do mac address
authentication for them.   Most L2 devices work fine.    My big goal is to
find out the different methods that some of you might be using to support
the most difficult L2 devices such as Chromecast, Sonos speakers, and other
L2 devices that need to peer with another device in order to work.   These
type of devices ultimately need to broadcast to see each other.  Chromecast
generally needs to broadcast to the phone app so that the phone app can see
it and establish a connection with one another.   If you create another
SSID for it, what are the key factors in making it work?

Back in the earlier Fall, a number of you stated that you were using /16
subnets or very large subnets so that you only needed one subnet for your
residential wireless network.   So the question I have is did you do this
to better support L2 devices?   If so, do you allow broadcasts on your
large wireless subnet or did you simply do one /16 subnet to simplify the
administration of your wireless network?

Bottom line, how are some of you supporting L2 devices that allow
Chromecast and other peering L2 devices to work?

Tim Tyler

Network Engineer

Beloit College