Disclaimer, I work for a VAR.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that there is always a specific
time and a place for your control plane and that's really the
consideration. In situations where you have sites that would require low
compute (typically smaller sites) that would be appropriate for Aruba
Instant for example, those would be ripe for considering moving control
plane to the cloud. Of course the big name in that space is Meraki and they
have an awesome page over at http://meraki.com/trust - but there is a ton
of space to consider private cloud options (in Azure/AWS for instance) with
'real Cisco', Aruba, Ruckus, etc - all having virtual WLCs that can play in
those spaces. If your goal is to remove on-premises gear, in those
situations where the architecture makes sense, there are tons of not only
public cloud offerings (that come with their own OpEx considerations) as
well as private cloud options that generally fit in your already preferred
vendor-of-choice. This makes things like code-qualification, support,
purchase discounts, hardware investment all become less of a challenge when
you abstract out the architecture from your existing platforms today. Said
differently, if vendor-lock in is important for your consideration, many of
your existing APs today can be moved to the Cloud - which is of course just
a fancy word for someone else's computer. :)

It's still a touch on the nascent side in my opinion, but it's one that,
for smaller sites, makes sense in a lot of environments.
  -Sam