Date:    Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:41:45 +0000
From:    Bryan Sherwood <bryan.sherw...@nau.edu>
Subject: Re: Helpdesk Troubleshooting of Wireless Issues

We take a slightly different approach to what has already been shared when it
comes to students. When students in either a residence hall or other campus
building call in, our student employees on the phone collect the following:

·         Drivers (check for updates, ensure that correct drivers are installed)

·         Power Settings (ensure that maximum performance is chosen for battery
and plugged in)

·         Delete/Re-Add Saved Wireless Networks

·         Disable Link-Layers

·         Disable Printer/File Sharing

One of our clever engineers went a step further and wrote a little web
page that gathers much of this information automatically and creates a
helpdesk ticket.

The user who is having problems, assuming he can get connected at all,
can browse to the debug web page.  The script then reaches out to the
XML API in Airwave Management Platform and gathers information such as
which AP they are associated to, which neighbors that AP can see (rogue
and managed, etc).  We do not gather driver version of the client or
anything like that, just concentrating on the infrastructure pieces.

This way we at least get a helpdesk ticket with the users correct IP
address, mac address, etc. from which to start an investigation.

--
Earl Barfield -- Academic & Research Tech / Information Technology
Internet: earl.barfi...@oit.gatech.edu    e...@gatech.edu