From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Curtis, Bruce
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:48 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Cisco FlexConnect for large deployment

  We have used flex connect in our Residence life buildings for many years
(even back when it was called HREAP).  About 4,300 students and around 500
APs.

  There have been some bugs which were annoying but usually there were
workarounds.

  If you roam between Residence Life buildings the IPs for the device will
change since we have different subnets in different Residence Life
buildings.  But the devices change IPs when they move from the Residence
Life to the Main Campus (local or non-FlexConnect) and that has not caused
any complaints.

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Dennis Xu <d...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>
> For Cisco customers, has anyone done large deployment with FlexConnect
mode APs? With the large capacity wireless controllers like 8540, all our
wireless clients are going to terminate layer 3 at the same switch where
the 8540 controlelr is connected to and that switch will have lots of ARP
entries. The best practice for SUP720's ARP table size from Cisco is only
30k, and SUP2T can handle 100K ARP but still not sure if a single switch
can serve large number of concurrent wireless users. FlexConnect has a
good idea to spread wireless users across the network, but not sure if
this solution is suitable for large deployment and if someone has success
story with it.

> Thanks.
>
> Dennis Xu
> University of Guelph
> d...@uoguelph.ca
> www.uoguelph.ca/ccs

http://www.educause.edu/discuss.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University