Todd,

We are an Aruba shop using dynamic channel plans.

We let Aruba's ARM (Adaptive Radio Management) decide on the best channel
for each radio, and in some cases, give it the ability to turn off a 2.4
radio if it detects that there's too much co-channel interference in an
area.  ARM will not switch channels if there is a client associated to a
radio, except in the case of an emergency (DFS beacon, etc).  We also let
it pick the Tx power within a range that we specify (typically 12 - 15 EIRP
on 5GHz, lower on the 2.4).

ARM has some secret sauce about how it decides which channel is best, and
has some parameters that we can tune, but we haven't really fiddled with
the knobs too much.

We are using DFS channels, but we haven't had complaints about clients that
can't see them.  I suspect that part of the reason that we haven't had
complaints about dead spots is that we have a pretty dense deployment, so
in our res halls, a client should be able to see at 3-4 APs, and the odds
of all of them running on a channel that a given client does not support
seems to be slim enough.  Also, it may be that we just got lucky and don't
have too many older 5GHz radios around that don't support all DFS
channels.  We have disabled channel 144 because we did see some beacon
events on it, but all other 5GHz channels are enabled.

We have been running several dorms like this for about a year and have had
very few complaints.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Jonathan Miller