From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Chris Adams (IT)
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 19:39
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Dynamic vs Static Channel Plans

Todd,

The question of DFS is an interesting one. Per the DFS specification,
devices certified to use DFS spectrum must be able to actively detect and
avoid the use of DFS frequencies used by radar. With the use of WAPs that
are approved by the FCC for use within DFS spectrum, there is an assumption
that devices are certified to detect and avoid frequencies in which radar is
detected. For me, the choice to use or not use DFS channels was more a
consideration of maximum client 5Ghz adoption, rather than concern about
potential radar conflicts in our areas - the WAPs should detect and handle
this themselves. Any more, most clients can use the full gamut of 5Ghz
channels. As we approach the actual usage of wider channel widths, we should
let the choice to use DFS be a decision based on RF coverage overlap and RF
spectrum your deployment needs.

Here's a fun IEEE whitepaper on DFS and the metrics used by WAPs to detect
radar usage in their proximity:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mentor.ieee.org_802.11_dcn_09_11-2D09-2D1217-2D00-2D0reg-2Ddfs-2Dcriteria-2Dwhitep&d=DwICAg&c=2GaipCMI-4CXTl0y2l8grQS3faC7QKiDQZYpyUtD00M&r=uvxIRDMxwssmr2VjVNRe6I_MeNT0SmtowN9dpqcMAFc&m=UJSRL3de-xKEZ3evbS2KxX-6STZ7YmpW78P9wuJ6ZnY&s=6ijf3mR1buxRTxjP6m46SMZctwmx5FjwBMAm_eb5JO4&e=

aper.pdf

Thanks,

Chris Adams, CISSP

Director, Network & Telecom Services
Division of Information Technology
University of North Georgia
E-Mail: chris.ad...@ung.edu | Office: (706) 867-2891

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential. If this e-mail contains protected health
information, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, except as permitted by
law. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you