From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeffrey D. Sessler
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:35
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Dynamic vs Static Channel Plans

At least on the Cisco side, their RRM (radio resource management) and DCA
(dynamic channel assignment) are so good that even the Cisco guys that once
promoted static plans back nearly 10 years ago admitted it now does a much
better job than a human. Environments change, so letting the magic-sauce do the
work is the right answer.

These technologies are more important if you have advanced WAP’s that can swap
one of the radios between 2.4 and 5, where you absolutely need computer-managed
channel (and width) assignments.

Couple of other important points.

DFS – On later Cisco code (8.2 plus), it will track radar events in the DFS
channels and will avoid use of channels with a high incidence of radar events
i.e.  no ping-ponging between to a bad channel. There is also persistent device
avoidance. With CleanAir WAPs, it will build channel bias based on interference
over time i.e. if it sees a microware from time to time, it will avoid that
channel, even during quiet times.

FlexDFS - DFS Channel changes with 80MHz – Cisco also does something
interesting when running 80-wide channels. In most vendor implementations, a
radar event in any of the 20MHz segments forces abandonment of the entire
80MHz-wide space – that’s 30 minute loss of a huge chunk of space. Cisco
abandons the problematic 20MHz segment and reconfigure for 40 or 20MHz channel.
Clients are happy, and you don’t force a complicated (and possibly disruptive)
channel change.

Jeff

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential. If this e-mail contains protected health
information, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, except as permitted by
law. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you