From: Wesley Troy Scott [mailto:tsc...@uwyo.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 3:26 PM
Subject: Wireless services in your Stadiums and Arenas

Hello,

The University of Wyoming is looking at expanding the wireless services at our
stadium and arena to cover fans. Today access is limited and focused on
operations like press, ticketing and concessions. At a big game cell can't take
the load, fans get nothing, so we're looking at solutions to the problem.

These deployments are different than what we do elsewhere on campus and I know
some of you can speak from experience on the topic. We have questions on all
sorts of things but the design consideration that keeps coming up right now is
how should we provision students, faculty and staff during a game as compared
to the other fans?

The approaches we've discussed include floating our standard authenticated
wireless network for their usage during a game, a different authenticated
network but the same role or a single network for all fans regardless of their
University affiliation. We're familiar with the design that's out there, an in
venue authenticated network and an open network and sorting all of the
different users out behind the scenes. We think all of these approaches have
pros and cons.

I'm wondering what you chose to do based on your requirements and how has it
worked for you? If you'd like to chat about wireless in large public venues
generally I'd be glad to get advice from folks that have been down that road.

Thanks,

Troy
http://www.educause.edu/discuss.