Thomas,

 I can’t point you to a specific document they have, but I can share my
summary ticket with PaloAlto on the matter.   Tier one had no idea.  It
took Tier two to inform me of the differences in their platforms.
Ultimately, I created an ingress policy for ipsec-esp application-default.
Below is  a copy and paste of the summary from PA:

Comment:
Hi TIm

Here is a brief summary of the session that we had

Issue

Calling over wifi failing , the traffic works only when there is an
explicit rule that allows the return traffic

Troubleshooting

We saw that the traffic was identified as ipsec-esp
We were on a 5220 platform
The 5200 series of firewalls has architecture that is similar to 7000
series
As discussed we were made aware of an issue with the ipsec traffic handling
on the 7000 series firewall, after internal investigation it was noted that
this was expected behavior on the platform as the offload processor needs
to do initial flow lookup, with IP addresses and SPI in the packet as the
key.
The offload processor cannot distinguish PANOS terminated ESP/AH sessions
vs. pass through. So PANOS has to create sessions with specific SPI values
unlike other platforms adn hence the requirement for a policy to allow the
return traffic

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns on this

   Tim