I can fill in a bit of background here, as I was party to some of the early
meetings about the London govroam project.

The Wifi provision in the public sector in the UK is a bit of a uncoordinated
mess. Every bit of the public sector does their own thing. Public sector
colleagues can’t use each others Wifi. So a social worker attending a police
station can’t just roam onto the police wifi. A librarian from one council area
can’t roam onto another council library wifi elsewhere. And a community
healthcare worker has to mess around with guest access when doing outreach at
the local hospital. The assumption is that public sector colleagues have plenty
of places where they could consume the wifi, and probably do via some guest
mechanism, but waste a lot of time (and hence our money) doing that; or end up
surviving on 3G/4G services. And there are plenty of mobile notspots.

The people who run the UK academic network and eduroam – JISC – have stood up
the National Radius Proxy infrastructure for govroam in the UK, and are trying
to encourage the public sector to sign up. In places they are pushing against
an open door, in others people can’t (yet) see the point. There has been an
initial focus on this in London, hence the blog posting you’ve picked up on.
JISC have encouraged Universities who are already running eduroam to also turn
on govroam. For most of us it’s a pretty simple thing to do, although it’s
another SSID. It helps them in their conversations with the public sector to be
able to say that your people (police, ambulance, fire, healthcare, social care,
council workers) can hop onto good quality Wifi in all these places if you sort
out govroam. And in big cities like London that’s a lot of places.

So what’s in it for the Universities? At the start the benefit is limited – but
when the local council start to turn up govroam (and alongside that eduroam) in
their buildings our students can consume their wifi in the local council
libraries and sports facilities; maybe at a council office if they need to
visit. In some cities where the council provide wide area public wifi you can
get a considerable benefit. And when any public sector employees who are
govroam enabled arrive on our campuses to assist students or our staff, they
can get on with their jobs by being well connected.

It’s a long road, the benefits won’t be quick or easy. For some parts of public
sector it might require a contract renewal to come up before action is taken,
and in general the public sector moves slowly. But if enough of us do it,
slowly they will come and join the Wifi roaming party.

Honest self-disclosure: we haven’t quite yet had time to enable govroam, but we
will soon. One of our buildings is shared with the local council and we need to
mess around to provide their Wifi SSIDs on our Infrastructure. When they sign
up for an sort our govroam, we wouldn’t need to do that.

Hope that helps understanding. It’s not a quick win, more of the start of a
journey.

_________________________________

Tomo | Senior Infrastructure Engineer - Networks, Telecoms & Security |
Information Technology.
London Business School | Regent's Park | London NW1 4SA | United Kingdom.
Switchboard +44 (0)20 7000 7000 | Direct line +44 (0)20 7000 7777

www.london.edu<http://www.london.edu/>  London experience. World impact.
Connect with us: [twitter.jpg] <https://twitter.com/LondonBSchool>  Follow us
on Twitter<https://twitter.com/LondonBSchool>  [facebook.jpg]
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-United-Kingdom/London-Business-School/14027365105>