From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> On Behalf Of Adam Forsyth
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:44 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Measuring RADIUS Performance

How do you measure the performance of your RADIUS Serve? How fast is fast
enough? How slow is unacceptable?

We have Aruba Airwave, and its Clarity module provides me a way to measure the
amount of time that RADIUS Authentication takes.  For our RADIUS MAC SSID's it
says it takes 63ms, and for our 802.1x SSID it says 2392ms.  The settings
Airwave comes with by default are that <500ms is marked green meaning good, 500
-- 1000ms is marked yellow meaning warning and >1000ms is marked read meaning
poor.

Of course faster is always better, but I wondered if others have opinions on
whether Airwave's  ranges are reasonable, or whether they have unrealisticly
expectations.  If they're reasonable, then I probably need to figure out how to
speed up our 802.1x RADIUS performance.

--
Adam Forsyth
Director of Network and Systems