From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Hector J Rios <hr...@lsu.edu>
Date: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM
To: "WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] ClearPass - not so clear anymore

Ian,

6.7 introduced a new licensing scheme which is based on concurrent users, and
it encompasses both guests, mac-auth, TACACS, etc. This means that each user or
device will consume an Access License during an active session. This is the
Access license. The part that really sucks is the way sessions are treated.
Basically, if a session end is not identified, the license that is being used
is not freed until after a period of 24 hours. In wireless environments, it is
normal for devices to roam, turn off and on continuously, and thus establish
multiple sessions. So, for every device that authenticates to your network, it
will be very likely that you will see multiple active sessions, thus consuming
more licenses than you would have planned for.

All of these new “features” were not part of the previous licensing scheme.

Hector Rios
Louisiana State University