From: Turner, Ryan H [mailto:rhtur...@email.unc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: Rotating 802.1x RADIUS CA certificate

I definitely echo the comment about private CAs for your RADIUS.  Control your
own destiny.  If your users are getting onboarded, then private CA chains
should get installed as part of the process, as well.  We learned this from a
swap out from a GoDaddy chain that was being deprecated before we made the
wholesale switch to TLS.   That was one of the major reasons we went to eduroam
as our primary SSID.  At the time, we were running people through a branded
SSID called UNC-Secure.  When we realized we were going to need to swap out
RADIUS certs, we just stopped onboarding folks to UNC-Secure, and instead
onboarded them to eduroam.  The eduroam backend RADIUS servers were totally
different than the UNC-Secure RADIUS servers, and it made the change-out non
disruptive to our folks.  Otherwise there would have been a date where we had
to tell everyone to ‘enroll again’ because they would not have trusted the new
chain.  Twas lots of fun…

Ryan Turner
Senior Manager of Networking
ITS Communication Technologies