From: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
on behalf of John Rodkey <rod...@westmont.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM
To: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless Options

Our college - about 40 buildings, 1200 students, 3500 wireless clients per day,
currently 310 WAPs - is considering a major upgrade in WAPs, replacing a number
that are 9 years old and no longer supported.

We could replace with the latest model of our existing vendor, but want to
consider all the feasible alternatives.  We have a hard requirement that the
controller be cloud-based, the system deal well with Mac clients, understand
VLANs and an enterprise quality network, and have a rich set of configuration,
logging, monitoring, and troubleshooting tools for dealing both with clients
and access points. Responsive support is also required, and unsurprisingly
total system cost is a significant issue.

3 vendors come to mind:  Meraki, Ubiquiti, and Aerohive.

Questions:
 1) do other vendors come to mind that play well in this space?
 2) what are your positive experiences with any of the above?
 3) what are your negative experiences?
 4) have you recently gone through this analysis, and if so, what were your
conclusions?
 5) what issues have you experienced with PoE capacity requirements with these
devices?

John Rodkey
Director of Servers and Networks
Westmont College