On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:38:14 +0000
"Kristoff, John" <j...@depaul.edu> wrote:

> What do you do or do you recommend to locate and eradicate poorly
> managed and inspid WiFi clients?

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.  The past few weeks I have
asked our student interns to help locate and trouble shoot those
forgotten devices, with some success.

For posterity, a brief follow up.

One thing that has helped is the using the AirCheck (formerly Fluke,
now Netscout) hand held tool.  They may be alternative choices, this is
just what we happen to have.  This tool has a locate feature.  Just
select the L2 MAC address you're looking for, then a display, signal
meter, and audible alert helps you locate more precisely where a
particular station is.  Obviously it helps if you know the physical AP
location where associations are being attempted.

In our most recent case, there was a PC-attached scanner with a WiFi
Protected Setup (WPS) button that didn't need WiFi connectivity.  Once
that button was pressed and the feature turned off, we eliminated a very
noisy auth-failing client.

WPS may be worth an institutional tech note on, but that is for another
day.

John