All:

We've been an Aruba shop for a very long time and have around 10,000 access
points.  While every relationship with vendors have their ups and downs, my
frustration with the Aruba is finally peaking to the point that I am
considering making the enormous move to choose a different vendor.  The biggest
reason is with the 8.X code train, and bugs that we just don't consider
appropriate to use in production.  It has been one thing after the other, and
my extremely talented and qualified Network Architect (Keith Miller) might as
well be on the Aruba payroll as much work as he has been doing for them to
solve bugs.  Just when we think we have one fixed, another one crops up.

The big one as of late is with 515s running 8.5 code train.  We have them
deployed in one of our IT buildings.  Periodically, people that are connected
to these APs in the 5G band will stop working.  To the user, they are browsing
a site, then it becomes unresponsive.  If they are on their phone, they will
disconnect from wifi and everything works fine on cell.  Nothing makes an
802.11 network look worse than switching to cell and seeing a problem resolve.
Normally, if the users disconnect then reconnect, their problems will go ahead
(but I think they end up connecting in the 2.4G band).   We've been working on
this problem with them for months.  It always seems as though we have to prove
there is a real issue.  I'm fed up with it.  We are a sophisticated shop.  If
we have a problem, 9 times out of 10 when we bring it to the vendor, it is a
real problem.  I'm extra frustrated that due to issues we've seen in ResNet on
the 8.3X train that we don't want to abandon our 6 train on main campus.  To
Aruba's credit, we purchased around 1,000 515s last year (I think around
February).  When they could not get good code to support them on, Aruba bought
back half of them.  I asked for them to buy back half because I thought for
sure with the 315s that we would have instead, the issues would be fixed by the
time the 315s ran out.  Not looking to be the case.

So, with that rant over, we are seriously considering looking to move away from
Aruba (unless they get their act together really soon).  There are other bugs
I'm not even mentioning here.  For those of you that made the switch to another
vendor, I would be curious how long the honeymoon lasted, what were your
motivators, and were you happy with the overall results?  Of course, this is a
great opportunity to plug your vendor.  As I see it, we have 3 choices....
Something from Cisco (we had Cisco long ago and dumped them for bugs),
something from Extreme (we are a huge Extreme shop so this makes sense),
something from Juniper (Mist).

Thanks,
Ryan Turner
Head of Networking