From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> On Behalf Of Norman Elton
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 10:10 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Who has transitioned away from Aruba, and why?

I agree with 100% of that. But here's a question ...

>> I absolutely will not sacrifice an otherwise sound WLAN by tweaking
>> configs or code upgradin for some small minority of poorly designed
>> or suddenly misbehaving clients that can be fixed from the client
>> side

What about Intel's AX driver bugs? I absolutely hate the idea of disabling AX
to support a few clients. But how many people are telling their helpdesk to
upgrade drivers on whatever BYOD laptop shows up?
What about a conference with 200 laptops that suddenly finds that half are
unsupported?

But, once it's disabled, will we ever re-enable AX? It's easy to say that we'll
disable it "short term", but we know those drivers won't magically update
themselves. We could be looking at crippling our wireless indefinitely :-/.

Our current AX test environment has it turned off on the 2.4 radio, so that at
least those users can connect someplace. Leave 5 GHz for those that can support
AX. I don't like the compromise, but the alternative ("hey we're trying out a
brand new wireless network that won't work for random people") is equally
unappetizing.

Sigh.

Norman Elton
William & Mary