We moved to “wired-auth” about 2 years ago.   The original goal was to
authenticate every wired port and make it more consistent with wireless.  It
comes down to tracking and accountability for access to our network.   A very
happy outcome was it basically got rid of all moves/add/changes.  As now, all
our ports can support any vlan wanted/needed. It is just a matter of the end
user properly authenticating the device.  The end users are very happy with
this model.

   Now  wired/wireless authentication can be done in many ways.   On both sides
we currently support a combination of MAC-AUTH, PEAP and EAP-TLS, listed from
least to most secure.  Our goal is to move that slider as far to the secure
side as possible.   I know the arguments about is EAP-TLS worth the effort. But
it is more secure and I think it should be a goal.

On the wireless side we are using securew2 and are moving to EAP-TLS.  With a
goal of eventually removing PEAP.  We are about 25% there as each year 25% of
our students turn over.  So a four year plan.

On the wired side it is more difficult as certs are a real pain on wired staff
workstations.   It all boils down to having admin privs on these machines as
most faculty do not but you want the cert in their name.  The other issue is
the whole auth before login and multiple users.   Yeah there are ways around
it, but it is a major pain.  So we have not made very many in roads into the
cert on the wired side, or even the peap for that matter.  But we keep trying
to move that slider as far to the right as possible.