www.jku.at/im

From: Jesse Thomas <jtho...@hamilton.edu>
Reply: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu>
Date: 17. June 2020 at 21:56:28
To: wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu <wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu>
Subject:  [WIRELESS-LAN] AP Management Network Size

Hi Everyone,

We are preparing to replace our existing Cisco WiSM2 controllers with 9800s.
Part of this upgrade will include redesigning our AP management
network(s)—currently, we have about 500 APs spread across 3 different /24's.

As we move towards an in-room design in our residence halls and provide denser
5GHz coverage throughout campus in the coming years, we expect the number of
APs to grow by quite a bit.

I am interested in how others have sized your AP management networks? I have
not found any concrete guidance from Cisco and various recommendations
elsewhere range from /25 to /21. Larger ranges would of course be easier to
manage, but at the same time we don't want to introduce issues related to
broadcast traffic.

Thanks for any input that you can provide.

Regards,

--
Jesse Thomas
Network & Systems Administrator