We created an open SSID for the dorms that has Internet access only. It helps
with maybe ¾ of the consumer devices, but there are still some home gadgets
that need more- Chromecast is one example. Some speakers as well. Then there
are devices that will ONLY join PSK networks (like TP-Link power strip) so the
open won't work there. I have seen one Nanoleaf light controller that will not
work in 2.4 if it sees 5 GHz, and it only works in 2.4 despite the ability to
sense 5. The unholy and expensive things needed to make these high end
enterprise systems work like home Wi-Fi is really fairly astounding.

If you go this route, expect to occasionally buy and try consumer gear to
verify what works and what doesn't, and to play whack a mole with students
wireless hotspots when whatever you attempt doesn't immediately work.

Or... let them use their own hotspots and be done with it. (If only...)

Lee Badman

Lee Badman | Network Architect (CWNE#200)
Information Technology Services
(NDD Group)
206 Machinery Hall
120 Smith Drive