Brad,
Why don't you contribute some constructive information WISPA could use to develop a response that gives us a reason to favor your position and helps us in our efforts to make use of this band. If contention based systems will not work then why did the FCC stipulate this in their proposed ruling? Scriv

Brad Larson wrote:

"While I confess I am not an engineer, I am informed by those that are that
while theoretically true, the practical effect will
be to make contention-based technology impossible and to limit the utility
of the band to licensee using WiMax and using 3650- 3700 MHz as a
"spillover" band to lower their costs."

"Why must every available frequency be made "WiMax friendly" anymore than
every available frequency should be "broadcast friendly" or "PCS friendly.""

I'm sure Harold means well but this is the kind of thing that is totally
ridiculous. If he would have looked under the hood (and his informed
engineers) he would have seen that the Wimax Forum IS working on a solution
to "always on" license free technology. Google search 802.16h. What stops
the wifi crowd from participating? Kind of blows away his aurgument (and his
in-the-know engineers). And if the Wimax Forum really wanted to "limit the
utility of the band to a licensee" I believe there response to the R&O would
have read quite differently.
Personally I like Harold and have followed a bunch of his editorials
including some on the Wireless Phila project but I really think he could
have thought through this one some more. Just my several cents. Brad