To: "WISPA General List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3650 due next week

Can you tell me again what the broad strokes were of the WiMAX Forum and Alvarion responses to the 3650 Ruling? I want top make sure I am making accurate statements before we debate this any further. If memory serves me correctly the WiMAX Forum and Alvarion asked that 3650 be split between unlicensed and licensed use is this correct? What else was requested and who requested what exactly?
Thanks,
Scriv

Brad Larson wrote:

John, I feel I have contributed with past posts. Google search 802.16h and
you'll see what the Wimax group is working on. QOS in the unlicensed bands
with a Wimax brand. The FCC also mentioned Wimax in the same breath as
contention based so my guess is they want the industry to figure it out
which is why we are having this dialog. My point all along is that many may ask for something that only a few will build which means you'll have more of
the same products you have today.
I don't think it's a secret to why the FCC wanted a contention based system.
They didn't want any one vendor's radio monopolizing the band such as you
know who. So if the Wimax Group is working on a solution for proper sharing
of the spectrum with QOS in mind, why wouldn't you want it (of course
leaving price aside for the moment)?
My issue below is that some in the Wifi camp don't want you to look under
the Wimax hood and they seem to be spreading snakehead analogies with other
half truths and that is indeed sad. Brad