To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:28 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] 5.8 GHz PtP - weaker RSLs

On 2 Aug 2005 at 12:56, Brian Webster wrote:

Since different people saw the same problem in multiple locations I would
suspect a propagation problem, probably as a result of solar activity.

While possible, there's one thing that just makes that sound really weird.

We're using Trango gear as well, and (as Scriv mentioned) saw some similar
problems last night...

One of our Trango APs has two client SUs associated. Both links are about nine miles, but the endpoints are only about three miles apart, on the same state highway. Think of it as a "V" shape, where the AP is at the bottom of the V.
And the V is actually pointing west-to-east. But whatever.

One of those links went completely bananas, lost about 10dB of signal, dropped
connection all over the place. The other didn't skip a beat.

I have another, similar, link that did the same thing last night. One AP, three
SUs. One went bonkers, the other two were things of beauty and perfection.
Again, the endpoints are only a couple miles apart.

[newbie mode ON!]

Is solar flare activity really sufficiently "random" that this is plausible?
With clients on the same frequency, and so relatively close together, I'd
expect any really broad-scale interference to knock them all off at the same
time, instead of just doing so randomly.

David Smith
MVN.net