To: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 5.8 GHz PtP - weaker RSLs

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:38:51AM -0700, Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:
Care to take this one on Jeff?

Groan.  Must I?

Solar flares are charged particles, mostly protons
and electrons.  Also, some x-rays.  They have no
particular frequency that they affect.  They mess
up long distance power lines by adding a DC charge
shift to the power lines, causing the xformers to
overheat.  They mess up HF communications by discharging
the ionized clouds that form the various Heaviside-Kennelly
layers.

The question revolves around whether such charged
particles can affect a 5.6GHz link.  More specifically,
whether it can affect one link but not affect a nearby
identical link.

My guess(tm) is that it's improbable but possible.
It's not the 5.6Ghz signal that's affected.  It's the
addition of charged particles into the circuitry that's
causing the problem.  A substantial DC charge added to
an RX mixer will have a big effect on performance.
Same with any bias change in the analog circuitry.  If the
receiver is a direct conversion all digital type running
at very low power supply voltages, a charge shift could
easily cause random circuits to go insane.  Basically,
ANY sensitive electronics is affected by a spray of
charged particles.

By the time the charged particles arrive at ground level,
they don't have much energy left.  The earth's magnetic
field and the atmosphere do a great job of slowing down
the energentic particles.  A sheet of aluminium foil will
suffice to protect against charge buildup.  Therefore, unless
the Trango radios have their circuitry seriously exposed
to the elements, I doubt that any charge would get through
the case.

That brings up the question of why another nearby identical
radio would not be affected.  Lots of possibilities
ranging from location, obstructions, circuit quality,
and subtle differences.  I don't want to speculate on
these.  I'll just suggest that it's rather improbable
that only one radio would be affected.

The litmus test is whether the impared link recovers after
the solar storm subsides.  If it does, then it's possible
that there's a connection.  If it remains impared, I suggest
we look for another theory.

--
# Jeff Liebermann Liebermann Design 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831-336-2558  (voice)               callto://JeffLiebermann  (skype)