One thing that everyone here seems to be missing is that this will
effect you.  As SBC and AT&T merge and Sprint and Nextel and Verizon and MCI
this create 3 companies that will control a vast majority of the services
offered.  And they won't have to share.  This will give the three control of
the majority of the internet feeds in the US today, both residential and
commercial as well as all cell communications. Where do you get you internet
feed from?  Personally I have two, one is controlled by Sprint and the other
by MCI (soon to be Verizon). Regardless who bills you, somewhere in the
stream one of these players has  say in your business.  Can you compete with
the telcos offering DSL at $30?  Right now  you can sure try, but what if
your upstream T-1 cost $3000 a month.  Could you compete then? If Cable and
DSL  are classified as Information Services and unregulated then T-1 access
will soon follow.  I agree that owning the last mile is a good thing  but it
will make no difference if you have no access to the first mile.  The BBS
operator thought they would always have a market at one time.  They soon
came to realize that if they were not connected to the rest of the world
then they could not survive and many didn't.

    Look at what's happening today.  We already have instances of the cable
companies blocking VoIP traffic from other providers. If this is unregulated
then the VoIP market might just disappear.  What happens if the Bells decide
that they want to block any web or e-mail requests that they want and your
name isn't on the good list. How many customers will you have if they can
only send messages to half the internet?

    These are just things to think about as the Internet becomes controlled
by the monopolies.  How will your company stay alive in the changing would
of tomorrow??

Jory Privett
WCCS